On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 01:26:15AM -0600, Luke Small wrote:
> I made a small 500 line program I call pkg_ping that calls uname -rm,
> ftp, sed, on openbsd.org/ftp.html.

A "program"? In what language? Is your code available somewhere?

> then it changes all the parsed http and ftp mirrors into http and ftp
> downloads and changes them to non redundant http mirrors (it has to to
> easily call ftp on it). It takes them and downloads SHA256 from the
> mirrors and the parent times how long it takes. If it takes too long
> it kills the ftp call and goes on to the next one. Then it sorts the
> results and puts the winner in /etc/pkg.conf

So the program basically makes several network connections to
potentially some 120 servers all across the world and the "winner" is
calculated based on the "speed" it took downloading a 1.9K text file
from each of them?
Not taking into account the number of hops, nor the anti-social
behaviour of starting to download large install sets of files from the
other side of the planet when a more nearby but a little slower mirror
is available?

> replacing all installpath instances, while leaving everything else. It
> doesn't do any network stuff directly so it probably wouldn't be much
> of a security problem, but because it needs to alter a root owned
> file, it should need root privileges.

It doesn't need to mess with /etc/pkg.conf. Setting PKG_PATH will
override installpath. See pkg.conf(5).

> I don't only run the release, so I don't even really know how to
> pledge it.  Is this something somebody would be willing to submit to
> the project and maybe alter it slightly.

I'm no dev and can't speak on the behalf of the project. Back when I was
a complete novice I might have used a tool like this on some occasions -
not knowing better...
As part of the base system or the installer? Hardly...
As a package? Maybe, but you would probably have to make it all yourself.

Regards

Erling