Mon, 25 Jan 2016 23:42:37 +0100 Ingo Schwarze <schwa...@usta.de>
> Some GSOC projects may still be relevant, but one has to admit that
> it is rare that GSOC projects produce code that actually gets
> committed.  Even among those that succeeded, only a minority produced
> code good enough to actually get used.  If people look for a project
> rather than simply working on what they are interested in, chances
> for success are quite slim.
>
> That said, don't despair, but you really need to be able to
> realistically judge your own skills and interests, make up your own
> mind, and take initiative.

All Ingo said continued, if you're still wondering, it may be a good
idea to contact other seasoned OpenBSD users in your area and ask them
for suggestions what they would like to have and miss the time and
skill to contribute.  Additions however, have to be maintained, so if
you're just looking for a term project, starting a new program and
disappearing is not the best service, I'd say it's the opposite.  Better
be prepared to stick around and look for converting something in, or
improving on some part, rather than new designs.

>From a user perspective check out daemons that need and miss a control
accompanying program or a service utility, that could count for your
term assignment but be a quick win, gaining you more learning insight,
rather than stuck in the deep (with potentially unacceptable offerings).