On Wed, 24 Feb 2016, Janne Johansson wrote:

Since "dk." resolves to an A-record, I guess that works as an FQDN.

We tend to suppose that a FQDN is a hostname plus a domain, but this
is obviously not the case. Any string as described at the end of
hosts (5) should serve as a host name.

We continously see cases of the form "example.com" and
"abc.example.com" resolving. And was not proposed here to use
localhost as domain? Then you have "localhost" and "abc.localhost"
resolving.

Indeed "dk." resolves. And similarly I put names without dots in
/etc/hosts. Perhaps conflicts with registered TLD may be avoided
putting numbers or dashes in the name. It seems, Icann does not
accept numbers and dashes in the TLD. See 2.11 in

https://newgtlds.icann.org/en/applicants/global-support/faqs/faqs-en

Rodrigo.