On Fri, 26 Feb 2016, Craig Skinner wrote:

You could have a monthly email to remind you to check if it is
registered. If that _EVER_ happens, you can easily change a small network to .priv (or something else) on a lazy wet afternoon. No drama.

For a hobbyist network, it doesn't matter too much; .w00t, .n0t, .u-k

A little drama, because one must care on it, for example the
"monthly check".

Dashes and numbers protect from registration, but also one character
domains or machine names:

"The ASCII label for a new gTLD name must consist entirely of letters
(alphabetic characters a-z)"

"Applied-for gTLD strings in ASCII must be composed of three or more
visually distinct characters. "

(https://newgtlds.icann.org/en/applicants/global-support/faqs/faqs-en)

But also this may change. We are exposed to the arbitrarity of ICANN.
We must be at the defensive and see regularly if someone bought
our local names from a private "internet authority". This should be an internet standard like rfc2606, not a policy of an institution that
may change at her will.

The global internet government seems to be aware of the chaos they
are producing. "dev." resolves to 127.0.53.53. See:

https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2014-08-01-en

We had originally "arpa.", the two letters domains for countries,
and a handfull of three letter domains. Every other name could be used
as machine name or domain for a local net without caring on it.
There was a change of policy, there is a TLD inflation, there are
now "private TLDs" for exclusive use of organizations, and more
changes may come.

Regards to anybody
Rodrigo.