On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 9:13 PM, Paul B. Henson <hen...@acm.org> wrote:
> Hmm, that sounds broken. Are you sure you've got the right serial port
> and baud rate? Once you switch the boot loader to serial, it's no longer
> a matter of "forwarding", it's direct serial access as far as the
> bootloader/OS is concerned. The BIOS forwarding piece is out of the
> picture. Unless your IPMI serial port implementation is broken you've
> probably got the wrong settings.

The IPMI is part of Dell's iDRAC stuff and the only thing I've found
on the net is that iDRAC 9 is needed for proper SOL access and this
system has the previous generation - iDRAC 8. I actually had tried
both serial ports for SOL which is why I think it's just broken. It
may be the iDRAC license level as well, anything above the "basic"
level, providing a limited feature set, requires purchasing a license
key. All of my other firewalls are using Supermicro boxes and the IPMI
works just fine on them. Unfortunately the client didn't listen to my
purchase suggestions. I don't want to become an iDRAC guru, just want
to install OpenBSD without wrestling alligators :-)