On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 10:46:15PM -0400, Sonic wrote:

> The IPMI is part of Dell's iDRAC stuff and the only thing I've found
[...]
> may be the iDRAC license level as well, anything above the "basic"
> level, providing a limited feature set, requires purchasing a license

Eeew. We've got some HP gear that requires an extra cost license to make
the remote kvm gui head work past the bootloader which is ridiculous
(but technically, I don't think remote kvm is part of the base IPMI
standard), but the IPMI SOL serial port??? That's just crazy. I've never
used Dell and never will for servers; desktops/notebooks, sure, but
servers? Nah. Sun gear was pretty good until Oracle killed them off, we
used IBM for a while until they sold it off to Lenovo and policy
wouldn't let us buy from a non-US company (like the gear itself doesn't
come from China anyway). Right now we're using HP at my dayjob and it's
working out ok. I pretty much use supermicro for personal gear and
sidejobs, it's generally good stuff. At least my IPMI SOL port works :).

Good luck :).