Does anyone have experience connecting an OpenBSD box via a fibre ONT ?

I currently have a working setup using the OpenBSD box as a
router/firewall for my LAN, connecting to the internet via an ethernet
connected ADSL modem. I'm trying to replace this ADSL connection with
Fibre.
(Note: I will update default gateway and routes after I can
successfully bring up the fibre link.)

I have an ONT installed by my ISP but (for various reasons) they left
without completing the config. I'm having trouble getting information
about how my OpenBSD NIC should be configured.

My LAN is connected on em0
I have the current ADSL connected on em1
I have an ethernet cable on em2 plugged into the ONT on its LAN 1 port.

I'm trying to understand the expected configuration of em2.

I've tried setting dhcp in /etc/hostname.em2 and doing a netstart.
Unfortunately I don't get an IP address on this interface (timeout).

My ISP tech support has been of little help but they mentioned that I
should get a public IP address via DHCP on the ONT and should be using
VLAN 10. I'm not sure how this helps.

I tried setting "up" in hostname.em2 and setting "dhcp vlan 10 vlandev
em2" in /etc/hostname.vlan10 but this failed to get me an IP address
either. # ifconfig shows em2 is "active" and vlan10 is also "active" but
I don't see how to route traffic via this link.

I was expecting that I need a (dhcp?) IP address on an interface
connected to the ONT but I'm wondering if I have fundamentally
mis-understood how this should be configured ?  Do I need PPPoE maybe ?
Thanks in advance.