On 2016-04-26, <open...@smartpoint.co.nz> <open...@smartpoint.co.nz> wrote:
> Does anyone have experience connecting an OpenBSD box via a fibre ONT ?

Yes, I set one up via pppoe. But the ONT is just providing the physical
connection, the specifics of what you need to do on top of that are
ISP-dependent. If they are telling you DHCP then use DHCP :)

> My ISP tech support has been of little help but they mentioned that I
> should get a public IP address via DHCP on the ONT and should be using
> VLAN 10. I'm not sure how this helps.
>
> I tried setting "up" in hostname.em2 and setting "dhcp vlan 10 vlandev
> em2" in /etc/hostname.vlan10 but this failed to get me an IP address
> either. # ifconfig shows em2 is "active" and vlan10 is also "active" but
> I don't see how to route traffic via this link.

Setup the vlan before doing dhcp (i.e. vlan 10 vlandev em2 on one line,
then dhcp on another).

If that doesn't help, paste the actual ifconfig output.