On Fri, 6/17/16, Marko Cupać <marko.cu...@mimar.rs> wrote:

> Perhaps it would be useful to add that 'set prio' does nothing
> unless "hardware is slower at transmitting packets than the
> thing that generates these packets to send", as stated here:
>
>  [http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=145257356119612&w=2]
>
> ... thus making it inappropriate for solution of OP's problem.

Hi,

I'm the OP. I agree that a single VoIP session doesn't need
'set prio' in normal circumstances.

The reason I want to implement it in my home network is
because, occasionally, one of the kids will upload
something big, e.g. a few hundred megabytes of pictures,
to some social network.

When that happens, my Internet "goes to shit" for the
duration. The upload attempts to push 100 Mbit/sec
or more to my firewall. Which then tries to push
to the Internet over the 5 Mbit/sec uplink speed of my
cable modem. Which immediately saturates. Which results
in the usual problems, such as 2000 msec or longer ping
times. Etc. Of course, TCP eventually backs off, but things
remain quite unpleasant for the duration of the upload.

I don't want VoIP to suffer under those circumstances. So
if I can work around this with 'set prio' (and not need to
get queues involved), then it's certainly worth trying to do it.

I will, of course, do some tcpdump monitoring in the near
future, and report back to the list as to how successful I
was in solving my problem by simply using 'set prio'.