Sat, 18 Jun 2016 17:54:04 +0200 Marko Cupać <marko.cu...@mimar.rs>
> I am not a developer, just a guy who tries to achieve similar goal as
> you.

You're doing a good job with the mailing list posts on progress reports.

You can still help by testing the program via configuration changes, and
real usage reports.  The mailing list feedback is therefore very welcome.
If somebody not part of the developers snaps at you, ignore them and ask
again rephrasing your report.  You could submit your findings as patches
to the docs to begin with the FAQ, and match that against the real world
usage edge cases, especially if not directly applicable to a manual page.

> I am writing you in private because I've been asking basically the same
> questions here on misc@ a few months ago, eg:
>
> [http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=145219178028408&w=2]
>
> To cut the long story short, after almost 10 years of successfully using
> OpenBSD's PF for traffic shaping, I can't make it work anymore since
> ALTQ was thrown out and new queuing mechanism was introduced in 5.5.

This is a reminder that the queuing section of the packet filter FAQ is
now in the attic as it's not been updated, it is just not so useful now.

[http://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/www/faq/pf/queueing.html]

If someone wants to really help, I suggest this document is brought back
from the out-of-date state and polished to match reality.  Until the day,
just consult the manual page queuing section (or ultimately the sources):

[http://man.openbsd.org/pf.conf.5#QUEUEING]

To gain more insight into this, keep working on it just like Marko tries.

> All the resources about current state of queuing in PF, including FAQ,
> manpages, and latest edition of "Book of PF" claim that what you
> (and I) need to achieve is done with a few simple lines, as it was in
> ALTQ days. It is not true. I came to conclusion that queuing in PF is
> broken, but there is no one who will fix it.

Source plunge may be required to be able to tame the FAQ queuing section.

> If you manage to achieve your goal (throttling one kind of traffic to
> prioritize other kind of traffic), please let me know.

Here is a free verse from the UNIX main book of revelations: if one
program does not possess a special dynamic quality you seek from it,
you shall write a program to change dynamically that program config
file and properly signal that program to continue performing duties.