Sj??holm Per-Olov [p...@incedo.org] wrote:
> Hi
>
> Does anyone know if there exist any list of recommendations about how to make
> an SSD disk to live as long as possible when using it for firewall purpose on
> OpenBSD?  It seems that OpenBSD lack some features related to SSDs like TRIM.
> SSDs are getting more popular, but I cannot find much info in the OpenBSD FAQ
> or on misc. Also, it is not that easy to get a good understanding of how long
> an average good SSD will really live with average disk writes from the specs.
> And there a more than one way to give specs about this where DWPD is one and
> MTBF is another.

A good SSD will live forever in a low-usage environment. The biggest problem
with flash devices in my experience seem like some kind of controller or
component failure, not a write durability issue. Hopefully, a well engineered
device with good components can avoid this type of failure. That's what
we're all hoping because this is what everyone buys now...

> Softdep is probably a good thing. What else? And I think of rewriting the
> logging handling with dates in /var/log to avoid a move of all logs every day.
> Or is that waste of time? Any special handling/settings for swap and /tmp?

Softdep is a trade-off. If the box is an appliance and does not frequently get
files created and deleted, it provides no advantage. Swap is probably never
going to be used.