On 07/08/16 16:41, Matthias Apitz wrote:

> I'd like to make some bootable USB key which contains an OpenBSD live
> system, if possible even with X11 included.

The short version is: Just run a regular install to the USB key.

I'd probably start with dd-ing the install or miniroot fs file to the
USB key, boot off that, then do a network install, ie sets from http off
a nearby mirror, selecting the USB key as the install target (yes,
overwriting the stuff you just booted from).

Once you've booted off the fresh install on the USB key, proceed to
installing any packages you need.

The process isn't difficult, some people find the partitioning bit
intimidating, but keep in mind that the defaults are sane -- as in, when
in doubt go with the defaults -- and you can resize partitions (R a for
example) and p)rint the layout with units other than blocks (say p G for
gigabytes).

> Can someone please be so kind and point me to some guide about how to
> make such live system?

Do at least browse the FAQ's install guide
(http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html) and the INSTAL.$arch file for
your architecture. In fact, keeping both of those open in a browser
somewhere while doing the install could turn out to be very useful.

http://bsdly.blogspot.com/ http://www.bsdly.net/ http://www.nuug.no/