I realize that this is not about an ipad, but I have a Lanix LT500 cell
phone that will only connect directly to memory chip with some Windows
software (3 kinds). I was pissed, have to remove chip from under
battery.

Then I was looking at options and I saw ftp server as an option. Weird.
So I tried it. Must have an existing, external WiFi to start up ftp.
Weird also.
It's slow, but private. I was going to upload and download files to my
server, but that's a lot of bandwidth for about 75 mp3s.

Probably won't help your problem any, but thought I'd mention this
really odd option on my phone.

Chris Bennett