Ted Unangst wrote:
bytevolc...@safe-mail.net wrote:
I see where you are coming from, but what I am getting at is, where in
the POSIX standard does it say that it needs to be anywhere in the file
system at all? If it is shared memory, then surely this doesn't require
backing up.

Oh. It doesn't have to be a file. It can be a file. (And you can't asusme it's
not a file.)

Well, I am amazed. I guess I just have to do some more investigation into workarounds for this, as RAM-based tmpfs file systems will get full very quickly with shared memory segments, and large segments result in high disk activity when munmap() is called. And SysV shared memory is too limiting for my purposes.
Thanks for the info, Ted.