On 7/28/2016 10:57 AM, Theo de Raadt wrote:

> ENV support was removed entirely.
>
> A few people found convenient ways to use that hack.
>
> However, the support is baked in -- unavoidable -- and occurs in all
> library use-contexts. In some of those contexts, this environment
> variable support is super dangerous.
>
> Since we cannot toggle support on & off based upon the usage case and
> provide selective security -- the support was removed.
>
> Imagine if libc had a pile of environment variables that behaved like
> this.  If the practice is is unsafe in a library like libc, then it
> should be looked at with an equally critical eye in a library used for
> security purposes...

Ahhh... OK.  Makes sense (and the background explanation you give is
precisely the reason why I'm moving to LibreSSL)

I'll do what I need to do without the ENV stuff.

Thanks for the quick reply!

(as an aside to anyone reading this a few months from now, I've taken
down the download file from my server)