On Sat, 13 Aug 2016, Theo de Raadt wrote:

We prefer creating a world that is simpler.  That is the practice
we follow with our bodies of code.

You prefer backwards compat.  Fine, that is your choice. You can
apply that principle in your own code.

Are we finished here?

It is not so simple. Of course I like simplicity, perhaps more than
you. And more standards than backward compatibility: that is why
I wondered that till now there is no standard. But programming
is always ponderation, in many dimensions. You must decide for example
between (run) time or space (memory), between security, performance
or simplicity. Sure, with absolute goals there is no much to decide and no
much discussion, and we are finished.

Rodrigo.