You can pay someone to build them for you, where M:Tier springs to mind.

Also, having a build host (or vm) somewhere running -stable and
(re)building any
updated -stable port for your particular platform isn't all that difficult
and hard,
especially if its just about a single or a specific small subset of ports.

Building ports numbering upwards to 10000 or whatever todays list is, and
co-publishing it as any single on gets an update takes a certain amount of
effort,
for which snapshots right now only get that kind of attention, and the
per-6month
package builds.

So the juxtaposition thing is a bit weird, since updates do get published,
its just
that you also need to chip in with a bit of effort if your particular port
got a security
update in -stable. So the project can still be about security if it does
updates, even
if you can't just lean back and open your mouth and get spoonfed precompiled
binaries the same day. The project updates -stable and -current ports (and
base)
in terms of cvs commits.

The prebuilt packages, if any, are a nice bonus on top of that.