On 08/19/16 17:43, Theo de Raadt wrote:
>>> You even come to the conclusion that such work isn't going to happen
>>> for free, but leave the result dangling.  Especially since OpenBSD
>>> isn't a PRODUCT.  If product-servicing is a requirement, first of all
>>> choose something which is a PRODUCT, then choose a PRODUCT VENDOR who
>>> actually does SERVICING.  It's doubly hard, without having to hold
>>> a non-product non-vendor responsible for a servicing requirement,
>>> which WE DO WELL WITH, but expecting more is ridiculous.  AND WHERE
>>> IS THE PONY.
>> OK I have done a lot of cutting and I may have put your words out of context,
>> this isn't intended of course, however I feel when you say "OpenBSD isn't a
>> PRODUCT" that this just can't be.  By that I mean, that I buy every CD that
>> comes out, a) it has an ISBN number so it's a book (but not really) b) It
>> has a booklet inside so perhaps it is a book.  It has 3 awesomely decorated
>> CD's inside too, that contain binary code to run on a set of computer
>> architectures and the last CD has source code so the purchaser can study the
>> inner workings of the binary, *) these are expected to be synced.  When
>> running the contents of your product it's able to compile itself from the
>> provided source code with means of a GCC compiler.
> You bought some plastic.  If we shipped blank plastic, half our user
> community would still purchase it in support of what we do.
>
> You never purchased an agreement for it to be serviced.

I'm not expecting that.  But the "hint" that this will not be serviced
should be there.

> Nowhere will you find promise that this is a product, nor a product with
> servicing, you are making shit up.
>
> Considering the CDs have been sold at close to a loss for years, your
> expections are way out of line.
>
> Then, you stand here and demand things?  You sir, are just wastewater.

I simply suggested a line to be put on the front or back cover of the CD
case.
Thanks for the insult.

>> The fact that you don't want to promise service for your product is your
>> decision, but it is a product.  In fact it's a wise decision because you'd
>> be facing a lot of work for which human resources are needed and human
>> resources require money.  The income of your product is not substantial to
>> pay the human resources to deliver service.
> It is not a product.
>
> You cannot claim that something I largely give away is a product, if I say
> it isn't a product.  Your words are just bile.
>
>> Perhaps for future customers who are looking around a book store and find
>> your product it should say "AS IS.  Promise no further service." so that
>> they can spend their money wisely.
> Text like this occurs 40,000 times throughout just the base source tree:
>
>  * THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND THE AUTHOR DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES
>  * WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
>  * MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE FOR
>  * ANY SPECIAL, DIRECT, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES
>  * WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN
>  * ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF
>  * OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.
>
> You are way out of line with the software development community.  Your
> interpretations are hostile.

To whom?  The person buying your plastic?  For someone to read the
source code license (which isn't even the book) they have to purchase
the CD's and open them, or they write down the ISBN and go home and
educate themselves on the product they consider buying.  But in this
fast-paced life who really does that?  People see, and buy it.

I've been buying your CD's since 2.6.  I don't mean to be rude, in fact
I'll continue to buy the CD.  And regarding the software development
community, I can't speak for it or against it.

Regards,
-peter