I'm posting this here instead of asking directly to groff mailing list
because (I hate to say it) I can't reproduce this issue in Linux using
the same groff version (1.22.3).  I use groff every so often but, if I
remember well, I experienced the same with groff in openbsd years ago.
I mean, it isn't new.

On ps output, text isn't filled (justified) as groff should do by
default.  Even including the .fi option in macros has no effect.

Perhaps someone familiarized with groff can give me a clue (Ingo?).
Some library used by groff in openbsd?  Some compile option?