On Fri, Sep 02, 2016 at 05:25:18PM +0200, Ingo Schwarze wrote:
> Hi Walter,
>
> Walter Alejandro Iglesias wrote on Fri, Sep 02, 2016 at 05:11:57PM +0200:
>
> > I'm posting this here instead of asking directly to groff mailing list
>
> Correct choice.
>
> > because (I hate to say it) I can't reproduce this issue in Linux using
> > the same groff version (1.22.3).  I use groff every so often but, if I
> > remember well, I experienced the same with groff in openbsd years ago.
> > I mean, it isn't new.
> >
> > On ps output, text isn't filled (justified) as groff should do by
> > default.  Even including the .fi option in macros has no effect.
>
> Filling (.fi) is indeed on by default, but .ad isn't.

According to what I'd read in the groff info page I'd tried adding
'.ad n' to my macros, but it didn't override the system wide settings.

> > Perhaps someone familiarized with groff can give me a clue (Ingo?).
> > Some library used by groff in openbsd?  Some compile option?
>
> No.  Pure run-time configuration.  Read
>
>   /usr/local/share/doc/pkg-readmes/groff-1.22.3p2

Well, I'll explain what I did in case others need to know how to do it.

I copied the file /usr/local/share/groff/1.22.3/tmac/troffrc to my
$GROFF_TMAC_PATH and deleted these lines:

.ad l
.de ad

And problem solved.

> Yours,