yes, really.

Today for the first time in weeks I inserted a USB storage drive on my
laptop, only to have the thing not react at all, as in no sign of
anything USB related appearing in any logs or dmesg when I inserted the
device.

Now for those files it was possible to transfer using a different
method, so I held off trying to write up a bug report until I had a
fresh snapshot installed. In the meantime I noticed in dmesg output
messages like

usb0 at xhci0: USB revision 3.0
usb0: root hub problem

which would of course explain why USB devices were not behaving.

But after I'd gotten around to installing today's snapshot, I got

usb0 at xhci0: USB revision 3.0
uhub0 at usb0 configuration 1 interface 0 "Intel xHCI root hub" rev
3.00/1.00 addr 1
usb1 at ehci0: USB revision 2.0
uhub1 at usb1 configuration 1 interface 0 "Intel EHCI root hub" rev
2.00/1.00 addr 1

and the USB drive was recognized and mountable.

I had vaguely noticed some USB related commits recently, but hey, you
fixed things!

dmesg from today is up at
https://home.nuug.no/~peter/dmesg_elke_20160920.txt.

Thanks!