Hello
I would like to get the isc-dhcp-client working as a replacement for the base
dhclient.

The primary reason for this is so that I can assign an alias to the interface.

But, I can't seem to figure out how to get this done.  I have two issues.

First, I can't get the isc-dhcp-client to assign an alias to the interface,
despite the documentation that states it should.

I have created an /etc/isc-dhclient.conf file:
---
timeout 60;
retry 60;
reboot 10;
select-timeout 5;
initial-interval 2;
script "/usr/local/sbin/dhclient-script";

supersede domain-name "domain.com";
supersede domain-name-servers d.n.s.1,d.n.s.2;

request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers;

alias {
  interface "em0";
  fixed-address fi.xed.ip.addr;
  option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
}
---

But, after killing the running dhclient process (from base), removing the leases
at /var/db/dhclient.leases* and starting isc-dhcp-client with:

# /usr/local/sbin/dhclient -cf /etc/isc-dhclient.conf em0

the isc client is able to get a an offer from the dhcp server, but it does _not_
assign the alias address to the interface.  The only address is the dynamically
assigned one.

I can find no guidance on what I am doing wrong, and why the isc-dhcp-client is
not assigning the alias.

Second, I (apparently) don't understand how to replace the base dhclient with
the isc dhclient at boot.

I tried modifying /etc/hostname.em0 from:
---
dhcp NONE NONE NONE description "Uplink"
---

To:
---
! /usr/local/sbin/dhclient -cf /etc/isc-dhclient.conf em0
---

But this did not work.  I now see in the hostname.if manpage that the command
needs to be available in the single-user environment (/bin or /sbin), but it
seems to me that if I was doing this "right," I shouldn't need to move the isc
client from the location that the package installed it in.  So, before I start
moving things around, I wanted to check if this is the way to do it, or if I
have missed something more appropriate.

Thanks for any advice.

Ted