Tue, 20 Sep 2016 17:38:50 -0600 Jeff Ross <jr...@openvistas.net>
[...]
> I have a little less than 2 weeks to make the transition so not a lot of
> time for install and try.
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions--dmesgs supplied once I get access.

Hi Jeff,

Go amd64 as others advised, X3220 processor supports 64-bit instructions.

OpenBSD amd64
[http://www.openbsd.org/amd64.html]

Tue, 20 Sep 2016 19:49:30 -0400 STeve Andre' <and...@msu.edu>

> AMD64.  There isn't a real future in 32-bit stuff.
[...]
> So look forwards at 65-bit.  I don't think you'll look back.

Hi STeve,

You may have to reconsider this for embedded & other applications given
the patents expired and the architecture's become fully open over time.

[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86]
[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IA-32]

Surely, you meant to say 64-bit architectures, given they are more than
12 years old now, as practically current there is not much to look for.
This means you can simply stop looking forward to 65-bit architectures.

Wed, 21 Sep 2016 01:58:22 +0100 Pedro Tender <mascar...@sailormoon.pt>
[...]
> You should use amd64.
>
> As a side note, in the processor you've linked here it says it will launch
> in the first quarter of 2017, so if what says there is true you have to
> wait a little longer to upgrade.

Hi Pedro,

You must have been very tired when you read the Intel product sheet, the
CPU in question was released first quarter 2007, and is now end of life.

Intel Xeon Processor X3220 (8M Cache, 2.40 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB)
[http://ark.intel.com/products/28034]

It is known hosting companies offer quite old servers especially if they
are a lower tier provider.  It is recommended you pick another host with
more recent line up, a newer server for the same cost, or just go amd64.
The server CPU you got was meant to run 64-bit OS more than 7 years ago.

Kind regards,
Anton