Hi Benjamin,

kbenjamin Coplon wrote on Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 01:23:43PM -0400:

> What does the OpenBSD community think about the LLVM proposal to move
> to the Apache license?
>
> http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2016-September/104778.html

If LLVM would move to the Apache 2 license, we would become unable
to use versions released after that change, and would be stuck with
version released before the change, just like we are stuck with
pre-GPLv3 gcc now.  So it would be very bad for us.

See http://www.openbsd.org/policy.html :

  Apache
    The original Apache license was similar to the Berkeley license,
    but source code published under version 2 of the Apache license
    is subject to additional restrictions and cannot be included
    into OpenBSD.

In a nutshell, OpenBSD does not consider software released under
Apache 2 to be free software.  At least not free enough for us.

Yours,
  Ingo