On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 20:29:56 -0500
Amit Kulkarni <amitk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 8:06 PM, Chris Cappuccio <ch...@nmedia.net>
> wrote:
>
> > Ingo Schwarze [schwa...@usta.de] wrote:
> > > Hi Benjamin,

> > > If LLVM would move to the Apache 2 license, we would become unable
> > > to use versions released after that change, and would be stuck
> > > with version released before the change, just like we are stuck
> > > with pre-GPLv3 gcc now.  So it would be very bad for us.
> > >
> > > See http://www.openbsd.org/policy.html :
> > >
> > >   Apache
> > >     The original Apache license was similar to the Berkeley
> > > license, but source code published under version 2 of the Apache
> > > license is subject to additional restrictions and cannot be
> > > included into OpenBSD.
> > >
> > > In a nutshell, OpenBSD does not consider software released under
> > > Apache 2 to be free software.  At least not free enough for us.
> > >

> > One major problem with the Apache 2.0 license is the fact that it
> > is not merely a software license, but extends out into contract law.
> > This has been a concern with many licenses, not just Apache.
> >
> > If you use Apache 2.0 license code, you lose rights that you
> > otherwise retain under the MIT or BSD license.
> >
> > Just review sections 3 and 4. The patent clause in section 3 is an
> > issue.
> >
> > https://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.txt
> >
> > Chris
> >

> Ironically, LLVM wants protection against patents.

And that is because corporate "contributor-wannabes" put pressure on the
LLVM foundation.
http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2015-October/091536.html

It does say "this is an RFC" but that was last year. We are now in this
year:
http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2016-September/104778.html

What I particularly do not like is the "IANAL but let's do it anyway"
drift emanating from a lot of high profile developers there.