Am 02.10.2016 um 21:24 schrieb Paul Suh:
>> On Oct 2, 2016, at 3:06 PM, Peer Janssen <p...@pjk.de> wrote:
>>
>> Now I reinstalled on another CF-Disk (4GB Transcend) with another method
>> (miniboot.fs), this went through and first-rebooted just fine.
>>
>> But now halting the machine produces a panic:
> I suspect that part of the problem with your 4801 is just old age. I'm phasing
> out the four units that I own, since they're all becoming unreliable with
> inexplicable and unrepeatable crashes, freezes, and panics. Some of the
> problem can be traced to bad power supplies, but overall a big part is just
> plain old age. Any 4801 must be at least ten to twelve years old (date of
> manufacture, not date of sale). I think by now enough of the capacitors have
> gone bad or are on the way to going bad that they're dying. :-(
>
> Also, for my use they don't have enough CPU power to run IPSec tunnels at full
> WAN speed so I need new hardware anyway.
>
> Hope this helps.
This surely is interesting background information.

Only, the installed system also showed a panic when I put that same
CF-Disk in an alix board (the one I talked in my message with this
"[misc] tfdpd doesn't deliver pxeboot file" title). It booted just fine,
but also panicked on halt.

So there might be more to it. Of course, these systems probably are
rarely halted anyway. But still, who knows what else is hiding behind
such a panic.

Peer

--
Peer Janssen - p...@pjk.de