I have noticed for the last 5 years of OpenBSD usage that the cron log
location is /var/cron/log, instead of /var/log/cron:

#       $OpenBSD: syslog.conf,v 1.19 2015/11/26 15:25:14 deraadt Exp $
#

*.notice;auth,authpriv,cron,ftp,kern,lpr,mail,user.none /var/log/messages
kern.debug;syslog,user.info                             /var/log/messages
auth.info                                               /var/log/authlog
authpriv.debug                                          /var/log/secure
cron.info                                               /var/cron/log

Why is it in /var/cron/log and not /var/log/cron by default? To me it
makes more sense to have it all in /var/log/, but given it has been the
default for several years, is there a reason (other than historic) that
the default is like that?

Is there any harm or issue with setting the log location
of cron logs to /var/log/cron instead, or is it best to leave it
in /var/cron/log?

I am interested to know as I keep /var/log in a separate UFS partition
mounted with rw,softdep,noatime,nodev,noexec,nosuid to store all the
syslog logs, and /var/cron/log is the odd one out here.