Hello,

I know some features that can give additional security isn't turned on due to
because of the bad quality of the code in ports and some also decreases
performance (or disables a feature, ex.: screenlock doesn't work if nosuid
set, but if feature not used, nousid can be used).

I only know about these "security hardenings", hopefully all are ok (if not,
please say/argue!):

ln -s GJU /etc/malloc.conf
Remove wxallowed from /etc/fstab
echo 'kern.stackgap_random=16777216' >> /etc/sysctl.conf
Remove all SUID and SGID permissions and all FS must have "nosuid".
Add noexec, nodev where you can in fstab, but can be bypassed..
All filesystems that are only modified during software install and removal
need to be read-only.
They can be only rw if sw install/removal happens.
Remove all files that is not needed for the machine to operate/do its
purpose.
echo "sysctl kern.securelevel=2" > /etc/rc.securelevel
Make as many files immutable with "chflags schg filenamehere" as you can.
If using X (so desktop) only use dangerous softwares (webbrowser, any viewer
software: pdf, video, audio, torrent client, etc.) with another (limited)
user!

The purpose of this mail to find more... what are the other security features
that are disabled in the default install?

-----
ps.: it would be nice to have a feature in the default installer to install
with full disc encryption :) we still have to escape to shell during install
and ex.:

install60.iso
(S)hell
dmesg | grep MB # or: sysctl hw.disknames
dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/rsd0c bs=1m # not needed, only for paranoids
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rsd0c bs=1m count=1
fdisk -iy sd0
disklabel -E sd0
a a
enter
enter
RAID
bioctl -c C -l /dev/sd0a -r 20000000 softraid0
# use a random high iteration number x > 10 000 000
exit
Start install to the newly created bioctl/crypt raid device: sdX, where X is
ex.: 2...

with a random (but very high) number for iteration, afaik iteration only
counts when typing in the password, much higher iteration would slow down
brute-force attackers.
-----

Many thanks.