On 2016-10-14 09:21:24, Peter Janos <peterjan...@mail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> [snip]
>
> ps.: it would be nice to have a feature in the default installer to install
> with full disc encryption :) we still have to escape to shell during install
> and ex.:
>
> install60.iso
> (S)hell
> dmesg | grep MB # or: sysctl hw.disknames
> dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/rsd0c bs=1m # not needed, only for paranoids
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rsd0c bs=1m count=1
> fdisk -iy sd0
> disklabel -E sd0
> a a
> enter
> enter
> RAID
> bioctl -c C -l /dev/sd0a -r 20000000 softraid0
> # use a random high iteration number x > 10 000 000

I just want to point out (for the archives as well as others) that
the softraid crypto discipline has recently been switched from
PBKDF2 to bcrypt.

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-cvs&m=147430724911779&w=2
http://www.openbsd.org/faq/current.html#r20160919

Since bcrypt calculates its rounds based on the exponentiation of
the number (i.e. the default of 16 rounds actually performs 2^16
rounds or 65536 rounds), the default number of "rounds" was
reduced from 8192 to only 16.  If you were to use 20 million
"rounds" with the new bcrypt algorithm, I wouldn't be surprised if
it took weeks, months, or even YEARS to actually mount your disk
after inputting your password.

For reference, I tried to simply calculate 2^20 millionth power
using dc for my own amusement and gave up after it crunched numbers
for over a minute with no answer returned.

A value of 24 (2^24 or 16,777,216) or 25 (2^25 or 33,554,432)
would probably be closer to what you actually want.

> exit
> Start install to the newly created bioctl/crypt raid device: sdX, where X is
> ex.: 2...
>
> with a random (but very high) number for iteration, afaik iteration only
> counts when typing in the password, much higher iteration would slow down
> brute-force attackers.

Indeed it would.  Quite significantly in fact.

--
Bryan