On Thu, Nov 03, 2016 at 01:56:09AM -0400, alexmcwhir...@triadic.us wrote:
> I know, it'll happen when it happens...
>
> I have a few servers that could really use the updated SMP stuff that
> -current has. For some applications it's a night and day difference, but I'm
> not all to comfortable running -current on production machines. I'm just
> trying to gauge whether or not i should hold out a bit longer or just bite
> the bullet and test some snapshots. With 6.0 being released in September i
> am not sure if i should expect 6.1 any time soon.

For most of the project's history, it has followed the six month release cycle
quite consistently, with some deviations when absolutely necessary (such as
the events that lead to PF being written), but generally releases have been
dated May 1st or November 1st.

As far as I know no schedule has been published for upcoming releases, but I
would speculate that the six month cycle is quite well embedded in the
developers'
lives and will be the norm going forward.  That said, the ongoing SMP work is
one of those things that could have tentacles that have to be dealt with during
a slightly longer timespan than the ordinary six month cycle.

Do keep in mind that it's only early November - if the project had stuck to
the ordinary release schedule, we would only have had 6.0-release since the day
before yesterday. Come May (or possibly earlier) we'll know for sure how closely
the 6.1 release will stick to the established schedule.

In the meantime, there are worse things knowledgeable OpenBSD users can do with
their time than trying out snapshots to get the feel for how development is
progressing.

http://bsdly.blogspot.com/ http://www.bsdly.net/ http://www.nuug.no/