Ax0n wrote on 09/03/16 13:12:
I've got a Toshiba NB305 netbook that's been my daily-use laptop for more
than 6 years now. The last fresh install I did was OpenBSD 4.9-RELEASE in
early May 2011. I've been quite happy with how it works, and I've been
doing bsd.rd upgrades and M:Tier binary updates ever since.

There is a lot of seemingly unused cruft in /usr/local/lib -- stuff with an
atime of my last level 0 dump several months ago.   Looks like pkg_add -u
left a bunch of stuff behind. Is there a recommended way to clean this
stuff up, or should I just start chopping away with something like:

find /usr/local/lib -type f -atime +90 | doas xargs rm

(after a new level 0 dump, obviously...)

Ax0n wrote on 09/03/16 13:12:
> I've got a Toshiba NB305 netbook that's been my daily-use laptop for more
> than 6 years now. The last fresh install I did was OpenBSD 4.9-RELEASE in
> early May 2011. I've been quite happy with how it works, and I've been
> doing bsd.rd upgrades and M:Tier binary updates ever since.
>
> There is a lot of seemingly unused cruft in /usr/local/lib -- stuff with an
> atime of my last level 0 dump several months ago.   Looks like pkg_add -u
> left a bunch of stuff behind. Is there a recommended way to clean this
> stuff up, or should I just start chopping away with something like:
>
> find /usr/local/lib -type f -atime +90 | doas xargs rm
>
> (after a new level 0 dump, obviously...)

I've been removing the old system during the upgrade script since 4.9, coincidentally. I haven't had a problem yet while upgrading two production servers and my two laptops, from release to release.

After selecting the OS sets during the upgrade, but before hitting ENTER, type ! at the “Set name(s)?” prompt to enter a shell. Then run: `cd /mnt && rm -rf bin sbin usr/!(local) && exit`. Then just hit enter and continue running the upgrade script.

WARNING: this will wipe out your system, so if the upgrade fails for some reason, you are TOTALLY SCREWED!

I periodically (every few releases) clean out /usr/local. First, get a list of manually installed packages using `pkg_info -m`. Then uninstall everything. It is interesting to see what gets left behind. If any garbage is left over, remove it. Then reinstall from your generated list. I don't do this very often anymore as `pkg_delete -a` seems to clean up quite well.

As insurance, I take level 0 dumps just before upgrading or cleaning /usr/local. Also, one of my laptops is a spare that has all the same software installed as the production servers and my main laptop. So this laptop is a test run if you will. If there are quirks, my main laptop is my second chance to make sure I know what the hell I'm doing before finally upgrading my two production systems.

Also, just a public announcement, test your restore-from-backup process once in awhile.

I've always thought about sharing this process, but always thought it is probably not the best advice.