On Sat, Dec 17, 2016 at 1:08 PM, Damian McGuckin <dami...@esi.com.au> wrote:
[...]
> What is the max throughput people have seen on these?
> Assuming traffic going between say 'vr0' and 'vr1', will it a Net5501
> board sustain 100Mbps?

I doubt it.

I did some work[1] on the vr driver on a pcengines ALIX, which has
very similar hardware (500MHz Geode CPUs and VT6105M ethernet chips).
The most I got though it for a TCP stream was 85MBit/s routing only.
It had CPU to spare, so I suspect the limitation was either the chip
or the driver.

The VT6105M doesn't have any receive-side interrupt mitigation (and
OpenBSD doesn't have a polling mode) so I suspect it'd be easy to DoS
it with tiny packets.  As long as that's not happening, there's
probably enough CPU to run PF.

Depending on your use case and environment this may or may not be good
enough.   If you do try it I'd be interested in hearing the result.

[1] http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20130201054156

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
GPG key 11EAA6FA / A86E 3E07 5B19 5880 E860  37F4 9357 ECEF 11EA A6FA (new)