On 12/19/16 13:01, Todd Carpenter wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I recently installed 6.0 and was struggling to get my softraid0 stripe to
> build properly and or boot.  I went over section 14 carefully and did some
> research.  The part that I found was missing was the creation of a 100 meg
> partition on the A slice and how to successfully create a bootable raid
> stripe.

no, that's not needed.

> (I'm sure there is something somewhere that I missed, but I thought
> it would be awesome to include step #2 and #3 in the raid setup)
>
> Target
> https://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html#softraid
> Source
> http;//undeadly,org/cgi?action=article&sid=2011xxxxxxx
   [url mangled]
that's a 2011 article, which predates bootable softraid.

> #1 - is kind of a question really.  My issue was it took me several times
> to get my raid "perfect"  during the process every failed attempt would
> result in portions of the raid remaining intact. IE fdisk would see RAID
> partitions that were not wiped or bioctl would think parts of the stripe
> were degraded etc.. ultimately my solution was to zero fill all of the
> disks and start fresh.. Is this the best way? or was there something simple
> I missed?

yeah, I found it very good to zero the first one or ten MB of any part
of the disk where a softraid partition could have been BEFORE creating
the array.

> #2  - update FAQ with the additional step to included the creation of the A
> slice as a boot device.

...[misleading info removed]...

no, not needed (unless someone broke something since I last looked)

> #3 - add the bootdevice creation steps to prepare the above boot slice

and again. no.

so.  What you propose is wrong, but you found it helped you...so sounds
like there's a problem with your process.

What did you do, what did you expect to happen, what did you see happen?

Nick.