On 2017-03-07 11:29, Roderick wrote:
Before I make a decision, I want to ask you for suggestions.

I want to make a small file server, just to separate important
files from my working system. Two disks as Raid 1. Files are to
be read with NFS. Emphasis:

(1) Data Integrity (not security :).

FFS has been around forever, i use it for mission critical data and have never had an issue. No issues with softraid and data integrity either.

(2) some degree of indepencence from hardware and operating system.
    Disk are to be readable for many decades. Standard File System
    readable after moving the Disks to another computer, different
    hardware, perhaps with different OS.

You can move the disks between any hardware running OpenBSD without issue, as long as the both hardware archs are the same endianess. For example if you take a disk out of an AMD64 box and put it in a SPARC64 box you wont be able to read it because AMD64 is little endian and SPARC64 is big endian. As long as you stay in the same endianess you should be fine as far as i know.

As far as other OS's, im not sure. I would think at least NetBSD could read our disk label and maybe FreeBSD, but i have never tested it.

I was thinking on doing it with FreeBSD and ZFS. I find the last
interesting because: (a) it make checksums and corrections if
a checksum in a disk is wrong (using the other disk in the array),
(b) many OS are implementing it. But I find horrible how
resource hungry it is.

Do you have an idea?

softraid / regular hardware raid does the same checksumming, ZFS just implements a ton of extra nice features such as snapshots, compression, cow, etc... at the cost of a large amount of RAM. It's probably safe to say we will never see it in OpenBSD with it's current license unless someone can make it work in ports which is unlikely as it needs a ton of kernel support.

I do preffer OpenBSD, but is there an appropriate file system
for archiving?

if you can live without snapshots, compression, cow, etc... FFS will work just fine.

I thank for any suggestion
Rodrigo.