On 2017-03-07, alexmcwhir...@triadic.us <alexmcwhir...@triadic.us> wrote:
> softraid / regular hardware raid does the same checksumming, ZFS just
> implements a ton of extra nice features such as snapshots, compression,
> cow, etc... at the cost of a large amount of RAM. It's probably safe to
> say we will never see it in OpenBSD with it's current license unless
> someone can make it work in ports which is unlikely as it needs a ton of
> kernel support.

A couple of comments on this:

- RAID1 doesn't do checksumming. You don't know which of the copies is
correct.

- Hardware RAID doesn't give you any protection against bad controllers.

- ZFS *does* checksum, even on mirrors, and can pick which of a pair of
mirrored drives is good and use it to correct the other one.