Tue, 7 Mar 2017 16:29:12 +0000 (GMT) Roderick <hru...@gmail.com>
> Before I make a decision, I want to ask you for suggestions.

Hi Roderick,

As you probably know well already, read _carefully_ Nick Holland's advice
to this (and previous) threads in the OpenBSD mailing lists.  These will,
most definitely, present you important pointers to evade common pitfalls.

> I want to make a small file server, just to separate important
> files from my working system.

This simplified definition makes your solution quite obvious: a networked
computer exposing your data to the other systems.  This also defines your
all other important aspects towards the sub-defined requirements and also
is the basis for providing the solutions to all of these sub-definitions.

> Two disks as Raid 1. Files are to
> be read with NFS. Emphasis:

OpenBSD provides these easily, you will have no problem implementing your
solution, just use the minimum required hardware and configuration setup.

> (1) Data Integrity (not security :).
>
> (2) some degree of indepencence from hardware and operating system.
>      Disk are to be readable for many decades. Standard File System
>      readable after moving the Disks to another computer, different
>      hardware, perhaps with different OS.

The pointers in the thread are quite well suited with one minor omission.

The independence of hardware and operating system to ensure your data and
not only disks but the actual stored information is readable for the long
periods you design is given by: the standards, and by the protocols used.

The longest available and stable is, the Ethernet network periphery port.

Just make sure you expose your data over multiple protocols, and not only
the one you use to access it in production, e.g. add file synchronisation
and more than one data carrier protocol for archival and you're all done.

Kind regards,
Anton