On 04/28/17 09:00, David Coppa wrote:
On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 2:18 PM, Jyri Hovila [iki.fi]
<jyri.hov...@iki.fi> wrote:
Dear everyone,

With the above disclaimer said, and still knowing the potential for a
war, I must say this: There is not much hope for OpenBSD to ever become
a desktop (or laptop) OS if the nightmarish sluggishness of ALL modern
web browsers can not be solved.

Have you properly configured your user?

What I usually do is:

1) be sure my user has the "staff" class:

# grep dcoppa /etc/master.passwd
dcoppa:***:1000:1000:staff:0:0:David Coppa:/home/dcoppa:/bin/ksh

2) I have this at the top of my ~/.profile:

---8<---

# bump limits
ulimit -S -d $(ulimit -H -d)
ulimit -S -n $(ulimit -H -n)
ulimit -S -p $(ulimit -H -p)
ulimit -S -s $(ulimit -H -s)

---8<---

With chromium or iridium it's not as bad as you have described.
Personally I use iridium on a daily basis.

Ciao!
David

I agree with David. It's manageable. I switched from Firefox to chrome some time ago, along with otter and Iridium--the three browser lifestyle. Firefox causes my wife to snarl all too often, so it isn't the case that FF on Windows is so great.

Gone are the days of a 2G web browsing system, mostly. I have a 32G thinkpad and make sure limits are ramped up to absurd limits. Is is slower? Sure, but I'll take that over a faster, diseased system any
time.  OpenBSD will improve.  Windows will not.

--STeve Andre'