On 2017-04-28 16:09, Jyri Hovila [iki.fi] wrote:
Have you properly configured your user?

As far as I know, raising the ulimit and being in the staff class can
not possibly be the solution. Ulimit has to be raised unless one wants
the browser(s) to constantly crash due to memory exhaustion, and that
I havedone. But really: adding a normal user to staff class just to be
able to run a browser properly is not in line with the secure by default
approach, and should not (in my opinion) affect the performance in any
way. The user account I use is, for other reasons, in the wheel group.

With chromium or iridium it's not as bad as you have described.
Personally I use iridium on a daily basis.

They (chromium and iridium) may be slightly faster, but far from a
level that could be considered normal. Also, they eat even more memory
than Firefox.

Browsers are usually optimized by large developer groups to run on Linux, macOS and Windows. Big companies pay a lot of money for that. Browsers are not optimized to run on a wide range of platforms.

The work provided by the OpenBSD developer is therefore incredible with respect to making that software runnable on OpenBSD, seriously!!! And I can confirm that website do run very good on OpenBSD.