On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 03:41:05AM +0200, Kim Blackwood wrote:
> [...]
> Qubes-OS seems to me as a solution of "patching".

IMO this is real point in this thread - virtualization as
a security meansure against buggy software doesn't make any
change to that software. Virtualization or containers are not
any security solution, real solution is to analyze design of
existing applications and really abandon ones which are crap
in security point of view, even if they have fancy features.

This is hard work to be done, OpenBSD devs are great guys because
they devote their personal energy to this "invisible" effort.
Just look at privsep changes implemented after Heartbleed issue.

Virtualization and containers make sense but what we all need is
to support people - if we cannot send diffs - who are brave enough
to make radical cuts in existing open-source eco system, either
while publicly denouncing existing buggy applications and telling
people loudly to stop using them, or sending radical diffs to make
those apps start moving to more secure design. (If this would reveal
as being impossible, then moving to the former stand.)

Let's thank all OpenBSD devs and ports' maintainers for their great
work.

j.