Hi Kai and IBM,

Yes I did the attempts to contact IBM to get Power donations, as quoted by
axon below. A guy by the name Benjamin Herrenschmidt at IBM used the word
'execrable' about me in PM, that was weird for a fund(hardware)raiser, and
sincerely quite disturbing to me.

(My 'attitude' - after 8 months and 70 emails they delegated the matter
from their main office in the US, to Australia.)

I think with respect to IBM donations, the relevant path would be to
enquire directly with their CEO Ginni Rommety, e.g.
https://www.ibm.com/ibm/ginni/ , also with reference to the massive
commercial value they have from OpenSSH. Anyone below does not have the
power to authorize donations.

Gina and Adithya at IBM on copy for reference. If you can forward this to
your CEO would be great. Your cheapest multi-CPU Power9 or Power8 device
should be around 2000 USD production cost max, meaning this is a 20,000 USD
donation request, or for 20,000 / 80,000,000,000 = 0.000,025% of your
annual turnover, as a marketing and goodwill thing it couldn't be cheaper.

If you have 6 to 10 devices - just any, preferably multi-CPU - to donate,
please ship them over and we'll likely see support happen.

If they need to be shopped, Tyan was selling them for 2850 USD a piece
recently, https://web.archive.org/web/20160118065359/http://
www.tyan.com/campaign/openpower/index.html . Maybe we're closer to Power9
now.

I like Power as it's server-grade hardware that I personally deem
preferable to AMD64. IBM's attitude about my hardware-raiser initiative
last year was execrable though.

This email is a response to suggest a next step. I think everyone involved
has been personally well-intended and there was a certain sense of friction
in the realization that noone involved in the emails at IBM had the
authority to sign off on a donation.

People like you and me are free to shop and donate.

Mikael

> Hi all,
>
> What is the current community interest in getting OpenBSD running on the
> newer POWER processors? I have a number of POWER based systems at work
> which run various Linux flavors, but it would be nice to bring OpenBSD to
> these systems as we’re been trying it out in different spaces throughout
> our division. What would it take to get a POWER port up and kicking?
>
> Regards,
> Kai

> In summary: There are 3 people who have been quite vocal about getting a
> POWER port recently. None of them are developers with the knowledge or
> resources to port it.
>
> Big thread from late last year:
> https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=147680858507662&w=2
>
> A follow-up (late December 2016):
> https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=148246956710299&w=2
>
> Search link with some scattered and often-unrelated results:
> https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&w=2&r=1&s=IBM+POWER&q=b

..