On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 10:33:16PM -0400, David H. Rhodes Clymer wrote:
> So, I'm attempting to set up my midi controller/keyboard. Since this
> is not itself a synthesizer, I need to hook it up to a software
> synthesizer via my computer. Thus far I've failed to get it working.
>
> My keyboard appears to be detected by kernel:
>
> umidi0 at uhub3 port 2 configuration 1 interface 1 "Arturia Arturia MiniLab
> mkII" rev 2.00/1.00 addr 6
> umidi0: (genuine USB-MIDI)
> umidi0: out=1, in=1
> midi0 at umidi0: <USB MIDI I/F>
> ugen3 at uhub3 port 2 configuration 1 "Arturia Arturia MiniLab mkII" rev
> 2.00/1.00 addr 6
>

> It appears that I'm recieving MIDI commands from the keyboard:
>
> $ hexdump -e '1/1 "%02x\n"' < /dev/rmidi0
> 90
> 3c
> 40
> 80
> 3c
> 00

the device works as expected

> I Can play MIDI files through synthesizer:
>
> $ fluidsynth -vs /usr/local/share/generaluser-gs/GeneralUser_GS.sf2
>
> $ midiplay -vf midithru/0 Downloads/MIDI_sample.mid
> Playing Downloads/MIDI_sample.mid (8444 bytes) ...
> ^C
>
> I don't even know if this makes sense, but attempting to "play" the
> midi device doesn't seem to do anything when I play the keyboard:
>
> $ midiplay -vf midithru/0 /dev/rmidi0
> ^C

this doesn't make sense, because midiplay expects .mid files and
will try to parse a .mid header.  The midi device reads as raw midi
data

> I've installd midish, and attempted to configure it to take my keyboard
> input send it to the synthesizer.
>
> midish config:
>
> # Device 0: Arturia MKII
> dnew 0 "rmidi/0"    ro
>
> # Device 1: fluidsynth
> dnew 1 "midithru/0" wo
>
> # Connect mkii to fluidsynth
> fnew fluidsynth
> fmap {any 0} {any 1}

this is correct, but you need to run the "i" command to start it
processing.  Then, it's supposed to work, assuming fluidsynth is
still running.