On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 08:39:14PM -0400, Maximilian Pichler wrote:
> I'm trying to use an Olimex MOD-WIFI-AR9271-ANT USB wireless adapter, but:
> # dmesg
> OpenBSD 6.1 (GENERIC.MP) #20: Sat Apr  1 13:45:56 MDT 2017
>     dera...@amd64.openbsd.org:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP
> [...]
> athn0 at uhub0 port 5 configuration 1 interface 0 "ATHEROS UB93" rev
> 2.00/1.08 addr 2
> athn0: could not load firmware

What is the model of your USB host controller? (please always send a
complete dmesg in problem reports -- you cannot guess exactly what people
will want to know about your machine, so by sending a complete dmesg
you'll save people a round-trip to get more information they need)

> According to the manufacturer
> (https://www.olimex.com/Products/USB-Modules/MOD-WIFI-AR9271-ANT/)
> this is an AR9271 chip, which is listed on the athn man page. What am
> I missing?

There's a problem where this chip does not get enough juice from the USB
host controller in some cases. The firmware failing to load is a symptom
of this. The cause has not been pinned down. It could probably be fixed
in software, somewhere in the USB stack.

On one of my laptops, firmware fails to load when I plug a USB athn
into a hub, but the device works fine when inserted directly into a
port on the machine. But it works with a hub on other laptops so I
stopped investigating...