On 2006/01/20 10:51, Joakim Roubert wrote:
> Now I won't have to buy additional hardware for this one (but thanks
> again for your ideas on that area), but I am about to choose H/W for a
> server that _must_ run OpenBSD. Learning from "the past", I am now
> checking the M/B spec. and compare them to
> http://www.openbsd.org/i386.html and http://www.openbsd.org/amd64.html.
>
> I have found 4 available motherboards (socket 754, so the amd64 port
> would be the best choice, I guess) at our provider, that might work;
> the southbridges/all-in-one chips in those are, respectively:
>
> * nVidia nForce 410 MCP
> * nVidia nForce3 250
> * VIA 8237R
> * nVidia nForce4-4X
>
> In the OBSD hardware list, I find
>
> * NVIDIA nForce/nForce2/nForce2-400/nForce3/nForce3-250/nForce4
> * VIA Technologies VT82C586/A/B, VT82C596A/B, VT82C686A/B, VT8231,
> VT8366, VT8233, VT8235, VT8237
>
> Which one do you think would be the safest bet here?

I'll defer to anyone that has one..! 8237_R_ isn't listed, though
8237 is. I don't know whether the difference is enough to stop it from
working...VIA usually get recommended when the topic of amd64 boards
comes up (you'll find a few posts in the archives about this).

nVidia aren't known as a good company for giving access to
data sheets, but OTOH undeadly is on a Sun x2100 which uses nVidia
chips, which seems to be working ok.. You can't use the internal
nForce nic on OpenBSD (yet, at least).

Generally: you have a better chance of full support if you stick
to slightly older hardware (and at least, it increases the chances
of someone having already posted if it doesn't work!).

> It would be good to be able to run the SATA disks, but perhaps the
> safest bet of them all is to get regular ATA ones?

I don't have any SATA drives so I wouldn't know for sure, but it
looks like most SATA controllers should be ok... I'm not sure about
SATA II though.