On Fri, 23 Jun 2017 20:24:24 +0200

> > > very high as in -r 2000 ?
> >
> > Yeah, 2048? Is there a MAX?
> Not really.
>
> Oh it's been only 9 month since bioctl(8) switched over to bcrypt
> PBKDF. You might run a older version (dmesg would help) in which case
> you want to go much higher... 16000?
>
> # bioctl -v -c C -l /dev/vnd0a softraid0
>
> shows you what KDF you are using.

Thanks

-r 1 shows "bioctl: number of KDF rounds is too small: 1"

-r 4 shows "Deriving key using bcrypt PBKDF with 256 rounds..."

whatever I set -r to, seems to say 256 rounds and returns in a similar
timeframe.

e.g. bioctl -v -c C -r 32000 -l /dev/vnd0a softraid0

kernel is 6.1 Jun 12 2017
bioctl sha256 starts with 1404c5e13f5f (i386 6.1)

This is adding the vnd as sd1 as softraid0 already has an enc sd0

the vnd0 is attached to a 256MB file

I would use the blowfish crypto of vnconfig instead but would rather use
the bcrypt password hashing if possible. I assume vnconfig still
uses PKCS #5, as the man page says?

p.s. sorry for the delay, somehow I managed to hose my boot code,
perhaps with bioctl -d sd0 whilst running from sd0 rather than bioctl
-d sd1. installboot saved the day anyway. Teaches me to mess around
with disks as root after a beer!