On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 02:20:00PM +0200, Antoine Jacoutot wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 12:04:19PM +0200, Raimo Niskanen wrote:
> > It seems syspatch looks at the current machine capabilities instead of
> > which kernel is running when it decides on if /bsd is /bsd.sp or /bsd.mp.
>
> Hi.
>
> > I tried to install OpenBSD 6.1 to a USB connected CF card that later will
> > run in an alix2d13 that has got one core, but I did the installation from
> > a laptop with two cores.  Both i386.
> >
> > Then I moved /bsd to /bsd.mp and /bsd.sp to /bsd since the installer had
> > detected that the install machine should run /bsd.mp.
> >
> > After that I ran syspatch, still on the laptop, and it failed on patch 002
> > with as I remember tar complaining on not being able to find /bsd.sp.
>
> I you run syspatch on the laptop then what you call the running kernel is the
> one that booted (i.e. the one on the laptop). That's perfectly normal and as
> you saw this is what the installer does as well.
>
> > installation, and after that it seems both /bsd (.mp) and /bsd.sp are
> > patched, so I can hopefully change the kernels just before putting the CF
> > card in the Alix instead, so no harm done.
> >
> > But is it by design that syspatch looks at the running machine instead of
> > the running kernel?  I would have expected it the other way around...
>
> Why would you expect that?
> The installation was done on an MP system. The running machine and running
> kernel as the same in your setup.

Well, what I tried to do was to swap kernels to run the SP kernel on my MP
machine and then run openup(syspatch), assuming that the running kernel is
what determines how to patch the kernels.
That is what I expected most likely to work...

> What you want to do instead is run syspatch from rc.firstime on your Alix.

In this case I wanted to upgrade the system much far as possible before booting
it on the Alix, i.e pkg_add, and openup(syspatch).  6.1 has got a number of
kernel patches by no so it would be nice to start with them applied.

> Kernel handling is tricky because we need to handle 2 different kernels and
> kernel is usually the thing people like to fuck with...

It seems both kernels are patched, so as long as I know how it works
I can live with that.