On 2017-07-18, tomr <t...@equalit.ie> wrote:

> In playing with vmd, I'm unable to get the guest's ntpd to sync to its
> upstream ntp (whether that's the host ntpd or poot.ntp.org). The guest
> is losing about 1 second for every 2 that pass.

To build a bridge between this question and Mike's reply:
This problem has nothing to do with ntpd.  ntpd's ability to adjust
the clock is limited by adjtime(), which can correct time up to a
generous maximum of 5 milliseconds for each second.  If your clock
drift is worse than that, your clock is broken.  Which alas is the
case for vm.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          na...@mips.inka.de