On 2017-08-25 13:09:14, Jordon <open...@sirjorj.com> wrote:
> I’ve been running snapshots on my machine for a while now.  About once or
> twice a week I will interrupt the boot with ‘bsd.rd’ and run through the ‘U’
> process to get the latest builds.  The only weirdness is that it alway
> defaults to a really slow mirror (i have to manually enter a different one)
> and it simply doesnt work when I enter a number from the list.  Is this a
> proper way to update?
>
> What about when the version gets bumped?  Since the switch to 6.2, this
> method doesn’t work because it doesnt give the list of packages - just the
> kernel ones.  Is this expected behavior and the solution is to boot from a
> flash drive or PXE from the latest 6.2 media?

The older bsd.rd is probably only looking for files tagged with
its own version.  I.e. If you have 6.1 installed, it's looking
for base61.tgz and not base60.tgz or base62.tgz.

There are probably quite a few different ways to update to new
snapshots.  What I've been doing for a long time now is the
following:

        1) Fetch latest snapshot from a local mirror, and save to HDD
        2) Verify with signify
        3) Copy /bsd and /bsd.rd to /bsd.old and /bsd.rd.old respectively
        4) Copy the snapshot's bsd.rd to /
        5) Reboot, select bsd.rd, and select 'U' for upgrade
        6) When given the option to select where filesets are
           located, answer that the partition is already mounted
           (since in my case, I put them on /var, so it already is
           mounted) and manually type in the full pathname to the
           sets.

I wrote a basic shell script that does 1) and 2) all at once, so I
can just run "fetch-snap.sh" and it automatically backs up the
previous snapshot, fetches the new one, and verifies everything.

The process I use above does not seem significantly different to
what you're already doing, at least when compared to the
alternative of using a USB stick, so I'd recommend you consider trying
it.

If you have another machine on your local network, you could run a
minimal httpd instance and make said directory available to them.
I do this too, so I upgrade my main machine with the above steps,
but point all other machines on my local net to the local IP
address of the main machine when asked to choose a mirror and
proceed as normal.

I've not had any problems with this procedure in the many years
I've been using it, but YMMV.

--
Bryan