On 17/10/04 01:48, Nick Holland wrote:
On 10/03/17 10:10, Niels Kobschaetzki wrote:
On 17/10/03 13:48, Niels Kobschaetzki wrote:
Hi,

I am running currently constantly into the problem that I do not
have enough space left for installing packages and today even
upgrading a snapshot failed because I had not enough space left. Is
there a way to resize partitions? I guess probably not because
there is no volume manager, right? I used originally the suggested
layout by the installer. Any idea what could fill up the space on
/? The partition is only 1GB in size and if I see it correctly only
the base-system is installed there. Did base grew with the latest
snapshots?

I found the problem. It sat in front of the keyboard m) At some point
I created apparently by accident a huge file in /dev and that ate up
all the space in / One problem solved. Now to my other space-problems
where resizing would be a solution but maybe I just need to tidy up
more.

and that's one reason we tell you to partition the heck out of your system.

Best/worst story I heard along those lines was someone who typoed their
backup script, and instead of writing to tape, wrote to a FILE in /dev.
Unfortunately, they used one big partition, so there was plenty of space
for this file...but of course, if the bad thing happened, the tape was
blank.

If you fill a 100M root partition, you clean up junk you left laying
around.  If you fill a 1G root partition, something went horribly wrong,
and you find and fix the problem.  Enlarging is NOT the answer there.

Disks are stupid big these days.  You can't get too small a disk for
many applications.  Leave most of your disk unpartitioned, and you can
for root.  and 1G is a HUGE root partition).  Just create a new
partition, copy everything from the old to the new, change fstab, reboot.

The problem for me with lots of partitions is usually that I have the
"wrong" sizes. Right now I have 1.7G free in /usr/local but 105G in
/home. I am pretty sure that home won't grow that fast that it will fill
up. But /usr/local will with installing programs. And it is at least for
me a hassle to look regularly through my installed programs and decide
what I still need and what not. Especially with some libraries. And I
don't know OpenBSD enough to know how "dangerous" it is to use
"pkg_delete -a". I used similar functions with linux-distributions and
they wanted to remove a tool like git because nothing depended on it.
Btw. I like the approach of dnf of Fedora which will not only uninstall
a package but also all its dependencies that aren't used by other
packages. Anyway, I am only a mediocre fan of tons of partitions and
have a lot of bad experiences in the past with bad estimations what
needs to be which size. I have here for example the partition for
/usr/obj. It is nearly 6G in size, 2K are used according to df and from
what I am reading in the man-page of hier, I need it only when I want to
build OpenBSD by myself. /var is 18.5G in size but only 67.5M are used.
/ is 1G in size; I would have expected to need more.

It seems that I could resize problem-free but I can do this only after I
learned more about OpenBSD and how it uses its file-system. And then I
need to re-install and create the partitions by myself instead of using
the suggestions made by the installer. I guess I'd prefer a small / and
small /usr/X11R6 created by the installer and then something for the
rest. But that would probably mean moving /home into /usr/home and I
don't know what to do about /var.
Well, my family goes to vacation soon and I am home alone; maybe I have
then the time to reinstall (if I am not sorting all the lego-bricks of
the kids into a new sorting system…but that's another story).

Niels