On 30.10.2017 00:32, Ingo Schwarze wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Cag wrote on Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 09:49:49PM +0000:
>

>> man/info pages, pdf/html docs - in -doc;
>
> Over my dead body.  Software without documentation is completely
> useless, almost a crime.  Docs must always be available, even on
> a tiny server.  The sysadmin logs into the server, needs a brief
> look at the docs to fix stuff -- and is slowed down because the
> docs aren't there, and a web search turns up the wrong version,
> and a wild goose chase ensues?  No way.

So true!  I am that sysadmin and have such a system as a build slave
among many others (~30 combinations of OS / distro / arch).  I
understand why it is built with docs separated in dedicated packages
(it's Alpine Linux, designed originally for embedded stuff, where disk
space really counts), but it's so damn frustrating when I need to look
up some of the differences.  And it's a pretty eccentric Linux distro,
with quite a lot of peculiarities.

[…]