Ingo Schwarze <schwa...@usta.de> wrote:

[…]

> > but it's so damn frustrating when I need to look
> > up some of the differences.
>
> On a build slave, i guess you do have the disk space to simply
> install all the -doc packages for the packages you are using?
> Sure, it's one additional step at install time, but certainly
> better than lacking documentation in such a role.
>
> > And it's a pretty eccentric Linux distro,
> > with quite a lot of peculiarities.
>
> I hope you don't count the use of mandoc among those.  :-D

Hi Ingo,

That's cool…  I didn't realize at a time, so I guess mandoc does its job
in Alpine Linux as brilliantly as in OpenBSD.  Congrats!

In regards to installing -doc packages in Alpine, it wasn't such a big
deal once I realized the problem.  Disk space is not an issue on that
build slave either.  I think in retrospect the biggest frustration was
realizing where the missing doc files are.  I don't remember
encountering that on other OS'es / distros, for good reason.

<rant>

BTW, great little distro, I enjoyed Alpine quite a lot.  And trying to
be security-conscious, I believe immunity through diversity is a thing
in the software world as well.  The more diverse the kernels, C, TLS
libs etc., the better (hurray to standards!).  I wonder if Alpine will
survive in current form the 2017 "privatization" of the (GPL!) grsec
patch, though.  I, for one, have decided to completely switch to OpenBSD
as a direct consequence of it (from Hardened Gentoo).  So far, enjoying
contributing to a more diverse world!  ;-]

</rant>